Cycle Speedway Teams Down the Ages
Sussex East: Lewes Rooks
About the team
Team formed in 1948, their track being situated in a chalk pit at Offham Road, on the outskirts of Lewes.
There were many complaints regards noise and traffic, this resulting in their eventual loss of the track site.
Track Length: 75 yards.
Team Colours: Red and White Diagonals with a Black Rook.
In the 1920s there had been an isolation hospital for infectious diseases on the site, and the natural Amphitheatre of the bowl in which they rode was well suited to watching the racing.
Club Manager: R. Cuncliffe, 37 North Street, Lewes, Sussex.
In July 1950 the team were required to leave their track in the Chalk Pit. With no replacement track available the Rooks disbanded.
- R. Cunliffe(capt)