Home Historical results Links Info/downloads Unidentified teams & riders: can you help? Site news

Cycle Speedway Teams Down the Ages

Suffolk: Leiston Aces(1950s/60s)

About the team

First track was at Carrs Pit, Theberton Road, now site of Leiston Building Supplies. Raced on this in 1955.

Second track was on the King Georges Playing Field, King Georges Avenue(adjacent to the Sizewell Road). Officially opened on the 21st Sept 1956 with a friendly against Claydon Greyhounds. A crowd of over 500 watched the racing. Raced on this until the mid 1960s.

Track Length: 105 yards. Track Surface: Cinder

Raced in the Deben Area League(1950s/60s).

Brian Scarlett was the drummer in the very well known local band called "The Wild Oats", thus his nickname "Sticks".

Club Chairman 1950s/60s: Ron Ashford.

Club Secretary: R.C. Wisbey, 5 Valley Terrace, Leiston, Suffolk(1960s).

Team ceased racing at the end of the 1961 season.

Riders

  • Dougie Adamson(capt)
  • Roger Blowers
  • Paul "Bunny" Cooper
  • Tony Cooper
  • Eric Cracknell
  • Robin Ellis
  • Roger Farrow
  • Alan Ford(1961)
  • Paul "Bunny" Harrison
  • Dave Hunting(1961)
  • .... Joslin
  • Mike Leek
  • Wally Livingstone
  • .... McGurney
  • Des Potter
  • Tony Rookyard(1961)
  • David Sawyer
  • Brian "Sticks" Scarlett
  • Mick Slater
  • Pete Watkins
  • Tony "Skid" Watling
  • Robin Watson
  • Des Wilson
  • Ted Wilson
  • Bob Wisbey