Home Historical results Links Info/downloads Unidentified teams & riders: can you help? Site news

Cycle Speedway Teams Down the Ages

Hampshire: Chandler's Ford Stars

About the team

First track was in Hiltingbury Woods(amongst the chestnut trees), off Hocombe Road(where Woodlands Close is now situated) and approximately 100 metres East of Nichol Road.

Second track was in Hursley Road. This was dug out by Peter Smith and a number of other boys, the track being covered by several lorry loads of red brick dust from a local brick-yard, this looking very much like the red shale surface used in motor-cycle speedway tracks. Starting gates were obtained, and a pits area was created next to the stream, alongside the first bend. The construction of this new track was completed in the Spring of 1950, just in time for the start of the coming season.

Club Founder/Secretary: Peter Smith, 5 Hursley Road, Chandlersford, Hants. This was where the family green-grocers shop was situated, and is now the site of Williams Roofing Contractors Ltd. Next door was the builders yard operated by Mr Stanley Wheatley in the former premises of J.S. White & Co, previously goods and parcel agents to the railway, this being opposite to the railway station itself. Bordered between these two buildings, the main Southampton to Winchester Road, Hursley Road & Monks Brook stream was a rough piece of meadow owned by Peter's father. He decided to lease part of this to the Chandlers Ford Cycle Speedway team, thus providing a permanent location for the club(in 2005 the site was cleared, and has now become Barrett's Chandlers Gate Development). Part of this lease included an old shed at the top of the steep embankment, some three or four metres in height from the track up to the pavement level in Hursley Road, this being used for bike storage and minor repairs. It was an unusual structure, with photographic evidence of it's existence in local history books, dating it back to at least the 1920s. The shed was supported on the side, nearest to the track's third and fourth bends, by two tall metal pillars, and on the opposite side it rested on a narrow foundation adjacent to the pavement. Virtually the whole floor was suspended on the pillars with literally nothing else underneath, where spectators would take cover during either very damp or extremely hot weather during match days. Situated on the West side of the storage shed was a series of steps, leading down the embankment to the track. Although these were the most commonly used form of access, the lease did also allow a right of way through the builders yard.

Promoter/Team Manager: Harry Smith.

Club Secretary/Team Manager: Reg Bevan, 5 Mead Road, Chandlersford, Hants.

Club Secretary: Harry Smith, 5 Hursley Road, Chandlersford, Hants(1960s).

Club Mascot: Johnny Blyth.

Raced from 1949 - 1963.

Raced in the Hampshire & Southampton League from 1950, this consisting of approx 12 teams.

Race meetings took place on a Sunday afternoon, with official practise night on a Wednesday.

In 1950 the team rode a total of 50 matches(30 friendly & 20 league fixtures). During the course of the season a total of 26 riders were given the opportunity to wear the 'Stars' colours for at least one meeting or more.

Initially the team rode their track bikes to away meetings, but soon for both practical and safety reasons, motor transport was used, firstly in a lorry hired from local businessman Mr Len Haskell, and secondly in a coach hired from Mr Jones of Hursley, this allowing the transport of the clubs supporters too.

Due to shortage of riders the team raced in the league for the last time in 1963, with the track being lost due to Building Works in 1965.

Team Honours.

Winners of the Hampshire County League Championship 1954, 1955 & 1956.

Runners up in 1957.

Individual Honours.

1950 Peter Smith won the Southampton League Individual Championship at Totton.

1959 John Jennings won both the Hampshire and Southampton Junior Individual titles.

1960 John Jennings won the National Junior Individual(Under 18) at Hungerford, runner up Barry Dawes, 3rd J. McMinn(both of Littlemore Lions).

Speedway Riders.

Stuart Wallace rode for Southampton Saints and Reading Racers, and was the last rider to be signed by Charles Knott for Southampton in 1963.

Riders

  • Ken Angel
  • Brian Bacon
  • George Baker
  • Gordon Betteridge
  • Terry "Tosh" Bevan
  • John Blyth
  • Garry Boothroyd
  • Dave Buckland
  • Dick Card(capt)
  • Bill Carter
  • Howard Cleverly
  • John Cordell
  • Pat Cousins
  • .... Cox
  • Tony Crump
  • Tony Dacombe
  • Mike Denham
  • Peter Denham
  • Colin Digweed
  • Charles "Chas" Dowdy
  • Sid Dowdy
  • Tony Elkins
  • Keith Elkes
  • Rob Fagence
  • John Forder
  • Keith Frampton
  • Malcolm Giles
  • Barry Glasspool
  • Fred Gowans
  • John Haley
  • Dave Havill
  • Brian Hayes
  • John Heward
  • Donny Hunt
  • Geoff Hunt
  • Godfrey Hunt
  • John Jennings
  • Dave Judd
  • Trevor Kenchington
  • Pete Langdon
  • Gerhard Lemke
  • John Lock
  • Rodney Long
  • Pete Manning
  • Don Marriner
  • John Marriner
  • Roger Meech
  • Mick Moore
  • John Musgrove
  • Graham Neal
  • Malcolm Neal
  • Mick Newton
  • Bob Rickman
  • Brian Roman
  • Peter Smith(capt)
  • .... Souch
  • Derek Spencer
  • Dave Stevens
  • Geoff Stevens
  • Brian Vine
  • Stuart Wallace
  • Tommy Webber
  • Alan West
  • Graham "Ginger" White
  • Terry White